
Prolonged dry conditions have damaged vegetable and fruit production in upland areas of Cebu City in the Philippines, raising concerns over reduced supply and higher market prices in the coming months.
According to a partial drought assessment from the Office of the Cebu City Agriculturist, at least 233.57 hectares of farmland had been affected as of May 13, impacting 663 farmers across 19 barangays.
The report stated that the dry conditions affected a range of crops, including tomatoes, bananas, eggplants, string beans, ampalaya, cucumbers, sweet corn, sili, and squash.
Banana production losses were reported in Budlaan, Bonbon, Mabini, Sudlon I, Pamutan, Guba, Malubog, and Paril.
Tomato-producing areas, including Tabunan, Taptap, Guba, Sudlon I, Sinsin, and Pamutan, also reported crop losses linked to limited water availability and prolonged heat.
String beans and eggplants were affected in Agsungot, Buot, Paril, and Cambinocot, while cucumber and ampalaya farms in Sinsin, Kalunasan, and Tabunan also sustained damage.
According to the report, the dry spell disrupted production in crops dependent on stable irrigation and rainfall conditions.
Agriculture officials stated that the current figures remain incomplete as additional barangays continue validating crop losses.
The report also noted that growers are facing rising hauling costs, lower produce prices, and deteriorating soil conditions linked to the drought.
Mayor Nestor Archival said some farmers were already experiencing situations where transport costs exceeded the value of the harvested produce.
“This is important because our farmers are being hit from both sides—high costs and low prices,” Archival said.
City authorities are currently evaluating whether to declare a state of calamity in affected upland barangays in order to release emergency support measures.
According to the report, possible interventions under discussion include cash assistance, transport support for farmers delivering produce to urban markets, seedling distribution, and fertilizer programs.
Officials said the final assessment of agricultural losses is still ongoing.
Source: Cebu Daily News
Source: The Plantations International Agroforestry Group of Companies
